There isn’t a single person who doesn’t have deal with stress.
Experts say that stress, whether from your relationships, your work, your never ending responsibilities or your finances, can kill you.
But stress is not the problem. It’s the way you handle stress.
Believe it or not, all you need is to take a 5 minute break from your hectic day to relieve and even eliminate your stress.
Here are 15 stupid simple ways to dramatically relieve your stress, in 5 minutes or less!
5 Minute Ways to Eliminate Stress
1. 2X2 Minute Meditation – No need to run away to a mountain retreat. Scientific research has shown that just a couple of 2-minute meditation sessions can relieve stress and depression. (Source).
Here’s a beginners’ 5 minute meditation anyone can do.
2. 5 Minute Dark Chocolate Break (all time favorite) – Just a square of the sweet stuff can calm your nerves in no more than 5 minutes.
A Johns Hopkins University study found that just the taste of sweetness on your tongue causes a surge of feel-good endorphins.
3. Breathing Exercises – Much like meditation, deep breathing exercises can calm you down instantly. Slow, deep breathing can lower your blood pressure and heart rate fast.
My favorite breathing exercises are designed for anxiety relief, and they work like a charm.
You can see how to do the simple or advanced “Sigh Breath” exercise HERE.
4. Lavender Essential Oil – Another simple stress buster is inhaling pure Lavender Oil. Just apply a few drops on the palm of your hand and inhale deeply. It can be safely used directly on your skin, so you can also rub 2-3 drops and massage them on your templates as well.
5. Creative Visualization – These little day dreams (mine usually include Ryan Gosling) involve thinking about something that makes us happy. Take 5 minutes, close your eyes and go somewhere that relaxes you.
6. Progressive Relaxation – This technique, used by many actors, involves tensing your muscles, one body part at a time, and releasing. Start from your feet and move up all the way to your shoulders.
7. 5 Minute Walk – Just drop everything for a few minutes and go outside for a quick walk. The physical activity will release stress busting endorphins and lift your mood quickly, while allowing you collect your thoughts.
8. 5 Minute Yoga – Lie on the floor and put your feet up against the wall. Try to straighten your legs as much as you can. This yoga pose (The Viparity Kirani) will not only give a good stretch but will calm your mind as well.
9. Cuddle with a Pet – Cuddling with any living creature, whether furry or not, will instantly relieve your stress and remind you of the more important things in life.
10. Talk to a friend – This is what friends are made for. Call a good friend or a close relative and share your troubles with them. This will remind you that you are not alone in this world and immediately calm you down.
11. Give Yourself a Hug – If there’s no human or pet to cuddle with, just put your arms around yourself and squeeze hard. Even your own touch releases oxytocin and other biochemicals that promote well-being.
12. 5 Minute Dance Break – Pick your favorite upbeat song, turn up the music and sing out loud until your neighbors complain. Dance like no one is watching you because really, no one is.
13. 5 Minute Earthing – If it’s not too cold, go outside, take your shoes off and connect with the earth under your feet. Step on some grass or sand and re-energize your entire body as stress quickly leaves your body.
14. 5 Minute Hot Shower – A hot shower is a well known stress buster. Just stand under the calming hot water and let them wash away your worries. And they literally do.
15. Acupressure – Here are a few acupressure points to quickly reduce your stress at home:
What’s your favorite stress buster?
** Linking at: Kelly the Kitchen Kop /Deep Roots at Home /Thank Your Body /A Life in Balance /Natural Family Today /Real Food Forager /Growing Home Blog /Frugally Sustainable /Food Renegade /Natural Living Mamma /Being Frugal by Choice /Nourishing Joy /
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.